- 1 pint prepared mole poblano paste
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, strained
tablespoon Hershey's cocoa
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar (or less)
- Blend mole paste with 3 cups of the chicken broth in a blender. Mix cocoa with
hot water. Add cocoa paste, vinegar and garlic cloves. Add a little more chicken
broth. The sauce must not be too thick to start with.
- In the lard, brown flour until golden. Add the mixture from the blender, rinse
out the blender with 1 cup warm water, then add that to the sauce. Correct seasoning.
Start adding sugar until it is of the sweetness you desire.
Chicken in Mole Poblano: Poach about 5 pounds
of fryer chicken pieces. Place the warm chicken pieces in the sauce and cook over
very slow heat for 30 minutes. Keep the kettle covered, but stir often and check
for sticking. The roux should give you a sauce of medium-thick consistency that
hold together well. Keep stirring the grease into the sauce unless you are counting
Serve in a deep serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds which have been toasted
with a little bit of butter.
Serve with fresh hot corn tortillas and rice.