Nopalitos (Little Cacti)
- 3/4 pound nopal cactus paddles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Remove thorns from the cactus paddles and cut them into strips about 2 inches
long by 1/4 inch wide. Boil the cactus paddles until they are soft and the texture
is much like that of cooked bell pepper.
- Heat a saucepan over moderate heat. Add olive oil, jalapeno chile and onion.
Cook until the onion is soft but not browned. Turn the heat to low. Add tomatoes,
cooked cactus paddles and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, adding the vinegar
for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Mexican Recipes