- 7 peaches, peeled and pitted, or 8 plums, pitted
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 (2-inch) sticks canela
- 2 pods star anise
- 2 teaspoons finely diced seeded Guajillo chile
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Cut peaches or plums into wedges about 1/2 inch thick. In a small non-reactive
saucepan, combine all ingredients except for peaches. Bring to a simmer over moderate
heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until brine is well infused. Add half of the
fruit to the simmering brine and cook for 2 minutes until the fruit softens slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove peach or plum wedges to a bowl and repeat the process
with remaining fruit. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, drain fruit. If desired, leave the star anise and canela sticks for
an inedible garnish. Reserve brine for the next batch, if desired.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.