Shredded Chicken Tostadas
These zesty, healthy tostadas are sure to please the whole family with chicken,
grilled tomatoes and garlic, avocado and just enough spice from a chipotle chile.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, divided
- 1/4 onion,
sliced into strips
- 2 to 3 chicken breasts, 12 ounces (350 g), cooked and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper 2 mL
- 3 tomatoes, grilled*
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled
jalapeños** 30 mL
- 1/2 cup water 125 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 chipotle chile, chopped
- 4 corn tostadas
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- In sauté pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half of garlic and onion and sauté until brown.
- Add shredded chicken and pepper. Cook until heated through.
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine tomatoes, remaining garlic, jalapeños,
water, oregano and chipotle chile. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- To serve, warm tostadas and divide chicken mixture equally on each tostada.
- Garnish with onion and avocado.
Yield: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 tostada
* To grill tomatoes, slice in half and remove pulp and seeds over sink. Place
face down on grill or grill pan for 2 to 4 minutes.
** Beware, this dish is spicy hot, so use fewer jalapeños to tame it down to
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 280 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat
1.5g Cholesterol 50mg Sodium 220mg Carbohydrates 25g Fibre 5g Protein 23g
Source: Alfredo Oropeza, host of Al Sabor del Chef and cookbook author, Mexico
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.