Sopa de Albondigas (Meatball Soup)
Albondigas is traditionally served with rice or beans and warm corn
tortillas. This is a delicious and comforting meal. It is a very versatile soup
as you can add vegetables or other types of herbs to season it, if you desire.
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 slice white bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic on a hot comal to roast. Turn
occasionally to evenly roast (about 5-7 minutes). Once roasted, place in
blender and process until the sauce is smooth. If your tomatoes aren’t juicy
and your blender is having a hard time blending, add 1/4 cup water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Gently pour in the sauce and cook for about 5 minutes; add the chicken
broth. When it begins boiling, reduce the heat to simmer.
- Meanwhile, form the Meatballs. In a small bowl, soak the bread with the
milk until it is softened, about 1 minute.
- Place meat in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Grind garlic clove and peppercorns in your molcajete (the flavors won’t
be able to compare if you use the dried form, but they’ll still work fine).
Once ground, add it to the meat, as well as the bread soaked in milk and the
beaten egg. Season with salt.
- Gently mix with your hands or a wooden spoon. Do not over-mix or your
meatballs will be hard.
- Next, form the small balls to the the size of a golf ball with your
hands, without forcing or putting too much pressure on the meat, and
carefully drop them into the simmering tomato broth. Repeat the process
until all the meat mixture has been used. When all the meatballs are in the
broth, cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro and season with salt.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.