Tamales Dulce (Sweet Tamales)
These can be made with any combination of fruits or jams that you like; and some
- Dried corn husks
- 4 cups Masa Harina
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups lard or shortening
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves
- Place the corn husks in a pot, cover them with boiling water, and allow them
to steep, covered, for 1/2 hour.
- Mix dry ingredients together; then add the water
to make the dough. The dough should not be quite as damp as that used in meat tamales
because you will be adding the preserves.
- Beat the lard with an electric mixer until
it is light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in the dough, a little at a time; then
beat in the strawberry preserves.
- Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of the dough on a corn
husk and then roll it up. If the husk is large and pliable enough, you may be able
to fold over each end to seal it; if it isn't, tie the ends with string.
the tamales for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is set and does not stick to the