This is a Latin American dessert French toast. Serve it with ice cream, Cajeta
or a fruit sauce.
- 6 slices brioche or challah bread, crusts trimmed and sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- One day in advance, lay the bread on a cookie sheet to dry and become stale.
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease
a cookie sheet.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk remaining ingredients to blend.
- Dip 2 to 3 slices
of bread in and soak thoroughly, about 5 minutes, then turn and soak the other side.
Shake off the excess liquid and lay the slices on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12
minutes or until just golden and crusty on the top, but still moist and custard-like inside.
- Serve warm.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.