Bongatsa (Custard Filled Pastry)
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted, clarified butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 9 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Cream of Wheat
- 3/4 cup Cream of Rice
- 9 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- Confectioners' sugar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Butter an 11 x 8-inch pan.
- For custard, in saucepan over low heat, bring milk, sugar, the 1 1/2 cups butter
and vanilla extract to near boil. Stir constantly, gradually adding cream of wheat
and cream of rice. Stir until thick. Empty into bowl to cool.
- Place layer of phyllo and brush with melted butter. Continue until half of sheets
are used. Wrap remaining phyllo in plastic to keep from drying.
- Beat eggs; add to cooled custard mixture. Pour into pan. Lay leftover sheets
in same manner. Cut into 6 equal strips, then sprinkle with water. Bake at 325 degrees
F for 45 minutes.
- When cool, cut into diamond shapes and drizzle honey or syrup sparingly over
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Middle Eastern Recipes