Bulgur Pilaf with Tomatoes
(Burghul bi Banadoura)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups coarse-ground bulgur, washed in coldwater and drained
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Fry onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until golden. Add bulgur and stir well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, allspice and water. Stir and
cook, covered, over very low heat for 15 minutes, adding a little water if too dry,
or letting it evaporate uncovered if too wet.
- Leave to rest, covered, for 10 minutes,
or until grain is plump and tender, then stir in remaining oil.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Variation: Fry 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes, in shallow oil until
lightly browned all over and soft inside. Drain on paper towels and fold gently
into the bulgur.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.