Bulgur Pilaf with Tomatoes
(Burghul bi Banadoura)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups coarse-ground bulgur, washed in coldwater and drained
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Fry onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until golden. Add bulgur and stir well.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper, allspice and water. Stir and
cook, covered, over very low heat for 15 minutes, adding a little water if too dry,
or letting it evaporate uncovered if too wet.
- Leave to rest, covered, for 10 minutes,
or until grain is plump and tender, then stir in remaining oil.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Variation: Fry 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes, in shallow oil until
lightly browned all over and soft inside. Drain on paper towels and fold gently
into the bulgur.