Eish al-Saraya (Syrian Dessert)
- 15 slices bread
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom and rose water
- 2 small packages whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1 cup chopped raw pistachio
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom jam
- Place slices of bread in an oven tray and broil until both sides are lightly
golden and place them in a big bowl. Put, in a medium saucepan, 3 tablespoons of
sugar on high heat and stir constantly until it turns brown, then pour water and
the remaining sugar. Stir to boil and dissolve, remove the sugar from the heat and
add orange blossom and rose water. Stir then pour the syrup on the roasted bread
and with a big spoon, mix the bread with syrup until it combines.
- Spread the bread in a big serving platter some 13-inches square and set it aside.
- Place whipping cream and cornstarch in a saucepan on medium heat and stir constantly
to boil and thicken, then remove from heat and add blossom water. Stir well and
pour cream on the brown bread, and sprinkle all the face with chopped pistachio
and garnish with red orange blossom jam (in the middle and 4 places around the edges
with 1/2 teaspoon on each place or 1/2 a cherry).
- Refrigerate before serving for at least 4 hours.