Falafel (Deep Fried Fava
Beans or Chickpeas)
- 2 cups dried fava beans or chick peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon, cayenne pepper
- Soak the beans or chickpeas in water overnight. Drain. (If you use fava beans
that are not skinless, remove the skins.) Mash the beans or peas into a fine paste
in a blender.
- Add the onion, parsley, egg, garlic, coriander, cumin, cayenne, baking
soda, salt and pepper. Mix well in the blender. Let the mixture stand for 1/2 hour
in the refrigerator.
- Shape into small (1-inch) balls. Dust with flour.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or use a deep fryer. Cook a few balls at a time, turning
them until they are crisp and golden brown (approximately 5 minutes).
- Drain on paper
- Serve while hot with Tahini or wrapped inside pita bread with sauce and lettuce.
Yields 30 to 35 balls.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.