Falafel (Deep Fried Fava
Beans or Chickpeas)
- 2 cups dried fava beans or chick peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon, cayenne pepper
- Soak the beans or chickpeas in water overnight. Drain. (If you use fava beans
that are not skinless, remove the skins.) Mash the beans or peas into a fine paste
in a blender.
- Add the onion, parsley, egg, garlic, coriander, cumin, cayenne, baking
soda, salt and pepper. Mix well in the blender. Let the mixture stand for 1/2 hour
in the refrigerator.
- Shape into small (1-inch) balls. Dust with flour.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or use a deep fryer. Cook a few balls at a time, turning
them until they are crisp and golden brown (approximately 5 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve while hot with Tahini or wrapped inside pita bread with sauce and lettuce.
Yields 30 to 35 balls.