Farareej Mashwi (Broiled Chicken
with Oil, Lemon and Garlic Sauce)
- 1 small chicken, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fruity olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish filled with a mixture of garlic, lemon juice, oil, and parsley,
roll the chicken quarters to coat them. Allow to marinate at least 1 hour.
- Heat the broiler.
- Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Set the broiling rack about 7 inches
from the heat. Place the quarters, skin side down on the broiling rack, and broil
10 minutes, basting often with the cooking juices and a little of the marinade.
- Turn the quarters over and broil the chicken 10 minutes longer. Turn and brush twice
more until both sides are golden brown and crusty. Pour over the remaining oil mixture.
- Serve at once.
Source: Mediterranean Cooking by Paula Wolfert