Fava Bean Rounds
(Falafel — Egypt)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried white fava or garbanzo beans (chickpeas)*
- 1 egg
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Heat water and beans to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; boil 2 minutes. Remove from
heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add enough water to cover beans if necessary. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover
and simmer until tender — 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Drain, reserving liquid.
- Mash beans with fork; add 2 to 3 tablespoons reserved liquid if necessary.
in remaining ingredients except oil; mixture should be thick. Cover and let stand
- Pinch off 1-inch pieces; shape into rounds and flatten. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in 3-quart saucepan to 375 degrees F.
- Fry 4 or 5 rounds at
a time in hot oil, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes; drain on paper
Yields 4 to 6 servings.
* 2 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (with liquid reserved), can be substituted.
Mash beans with fork and continue as directed.