Halva (Almond Dessert)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 cup raw cream of wheat
- Combine the sugar, honey, water, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil
and cook over low heat 20 minutes.
- While the syrup is cooking, melt the butter in a skillet; add the almonds and
cream of wheat. Cook over low heat, stirring steadily, until browned.
- Add to the syrup (after syrup has cooked 20 minutes), mix well, cover, and cook
15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a buttered 8 x 10-inch buttered shallow pan. Cool.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or cinnamon.
Makes 20 (2-inch) squares.
Source: Where East Meets West