- 4 medium-size eggplant
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 cloves
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled
- Handful of parsley, chopped
and pepper, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out a little of the flesh to make room
for the filling. Sprinkle the insides and reserved flesh with salt; set aside for
about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan; add onions and garlic, and
sauté until soft and golden. Stir in tomatoes, parsley and seasoning and cook 5
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan and fry the eggplant flesh for a few minutes,
then add to the tomato mixture.
- Fry the eggplant halves in the same pan, until the flesh softens, adding more
oil if necessary.
- Arrange eggplant in a baking dish and spoon on the stuffing. Pour 2 1/2 cups
boiling water into the dish, cover and simmer on low heat until the eggplants are
cooked, about 1 hour.
This can be served hot or cold.