Lebanese Cabbage Rolls
- 1 large (2 pound) head cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup rice
and pepper to taste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cloves
- 2 cups canned tomatoes or 1 can tomato paste
- Filling: Wash rice and drain. Add meat and 1 cup tomatoes or 1/2 can tomato paste.
Add salt, pepper and spices.
- Separate cabbage leaves and drop separately in salted boiling water and cook
a few minutes until limp and easy to roll. Cook all leaves, then let drain well.
- Trim leaves of heavy stems. Reserve stems and put in bottom of saucepan. On each
leaf place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling and roll firmly. Place cabbage rolls
neatly in rolls making several layers. Place garlic buds among leaves as you roll.
Add 1 cup tomatoes and enough water to cover rolls 1/2 inch higher than the top.
Place a pottery plate over cabbage so the rolls will remain firm and intact. Cover
pan and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour over medium heat.
- During last 15 minutes of cooking, add the juice of the two lemons.
Serves 6 to 8.
Source: St. Anthony of Padua Annual Lebanese "Mahrahan" Festival, Cincinnati,
Ohio - recipe by Rose AbiRadi