Lentil and Vegetable Stew (Mjeddrah)
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces dried lentils (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Lemon wedges
- Heat water and lentils to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover and cook
until lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, onion, celery,
garlic, parsley, bouillon, salt and cumin. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender,
about 20 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini; cover and cook until zucchini is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 4 or 5 servings