Middle Eastern Hummus
- 2 cups chick peas, soaked overnight
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup tahine/tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
- 1/4 cup
- Drain and rinse the chick peas, then add water to cover and simmer until tender.
- Blend the salt, garlic, lemon juice, tahine, and olive oil in a food processor
- Add some chick peas and blend until smooth, then do the same with some more chickpeas.
Keep doing that until they've all been added. If the mixture is too thick to
puree properly, add some water or a bit more of the liquids listed above, depending
on your flavor preferences.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil. You can also sprinkle it with cayenne pepper.
Normally it is eaten with pita bread, ripping off pieces of bread and dipping it
into the hummus.