Moroccan Beef and Sweet Potato Stew
Let your slow cooker do the work, while your house is filled with the scent of
cinnamon, garlic and onions. Serve over couscous for a balanced meal.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup regular or golden raisins
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoeswith garlic and onion
- Hot cooked couscous
- Chopped toasted almonds (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow
- Add beef, sweet potatoes and raisins; toss to coat evenly. Pour tomatoes on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or until beef
and potatoes are fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
- Season with salt, as desired.
- Serve over couscous. Garnish with almonds and parsley, if desired.
Total Recipe Time: High Setting: 4 to 6 hr; Low Setting: 8 to 9 hr
Makes 6 servings.
For smaller slow cookers, it may be easier to combine ingredients in a separate
bowl before adding to slow cooker.
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat;
3 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 811 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 3.8
g fiber; 26 g protein; 3.6 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6
mg iron; 17.8 mcg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc
Recipe and photo credit: Cattlemen's Beef Board