Mulhammar (Sweet Rice)
This recipe uses fragrant exotic Basmati rice.
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 2 tablespoons rose
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated
- 1/4 cup ghee (butter may be substituted)
- In a small bowl put saffron, rose water and the cardamom.
- Sort rice and wash until the water runs clear.
- In a large heavy pan boil the 6 cups of water.
- Stir in the salt and the rice. Return water to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Boil uncovered for 8 minutes. Drain. Pour sugar onto the hot rice and mix well.
- Melt the ghee in the same pan in which the rice was cooked. Add the rice with
sugar. Sprinkle the rose water and spices on top of the rice. Using the end of a
wooden spoon, make 3 small holes in the rice.
- Cover the pan with a paper towel and place lid tightly on top.
- Cook over low heat about 20 minutes, until done.
Yields 6 servings.