Orange Pistachio Date Bread
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
- Place a rack in the lower third of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly
grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder and salt together in one
- In another bowl, mix the milk, orange juice, zest and vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy,
about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture and
milk mixture using low speed or by hand, alternating in 3 parts. Stop when the batter
has just come together - do not over-beat.
- Fold in the dates and pistachios.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake about 70 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted
in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes.
- Unmold and set loaf on rack to cool completely.
Can be stored well-wrapped and refrigerated for 2 days before serving.