Persian Rice Pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup raw white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 (2-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely sliced dried figs
- 3/4 cup creamed cottage cheese, beaten until almost smooth or blend in the blender or processor
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Few grains salt
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Scald milk in top of double boiler. Add rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup sugar.
Cover; cook over gently boiling water 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover,
and continue to cook about 30 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Put water, cinnamon sticks, 1 tablespoon lemon rind, nutmeg, cloves and anise
seed in saucepan. simmer uncovered about 20 minutes or until reduced to 2 or 3 tablespoons
of liquid. Strain; stir into rice and add vanilla extract and figs; mix thoroughly.
- Serve warm.
- Just before serving, mix cottage cheese, whipping cream, few grains salt, 1/4
teaspoon grated lemon rind and 2 teaspoon sugar. Fold into rice mixture.
6 to 8 servings.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 3/23/2002 9:16 pm.