Pocket Bread (Pita, Arab Bread,
Israeli Flat Bread, Armenian Bread)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in oil, sugar, salt and 2 cups
of the flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until
double, about 1 hour. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch dough down; divide into 6 equal parts. Shape into balls. Cover; let rise
for 30 minutes.
- Roll each ball into a 6- to 7-inch circle 1/8 inch thick on floured surface.
Place 2 circles in opposite corners of each of 3 cookie sheets.
- Cover; let rise for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bake until loaves are puffed and golden brown, about 10 minutes.