Roast Pepper Peach Salad
This is a dish from traditional Turkish cuisine, which frequently combines fruit
with meat or vegetables. With local peppers and peaches both now on-stream, it's
a perfect, cooling dish for late summer.
- 2 sweet green bell peppers
- 2 sweet red bell peppers
- 3 ripe peaches
- 3 green
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) good balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) granulated sugar
- Generous pinch mild paprika
pinch hot cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon
(5 mL) chopped fresh dill
- Char the peppers all over on a stove burner or barbecue. Seal them in a paper
bag for 20 minutes, then slip off the skins, drain the peppers, remove the seeds,
and cut the flesh into strips.
- You can skin the peaches, if desired, or leave them as is. Remove the pits and
slice the peaches. Add them to the peppers, then dress with the remaining ingredients.
- Toss gently, then cover and refrigerate for an hour to let the flavors combine.
- Let the salad warm for 15 minutes at room temperature, and serve.