(Ma'Mounia — Syria)
This makes a wonderful breakfast dish.
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
cup semolina (couscous)*
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon
- Heat water and sugar to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes; remove
from heat and reserve. Heat butter in 1 1/2-quart saucepan until melted; add semolina.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Stir in reserved sugar syrup, raisins, almonds and salt. Heat to boiling. Cook,
stirring constantly, until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour into serving dishes; sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve warm or cold with sweetened
Yields 4 to 6 servings.
* 1/3 cup farina may be substituted for the semolina.