Spicy Grilled Steak (Shawayuh)
This is a Yemenite specialty.
- 2 pounds beef boneless sirloin steak,1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons caraway seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
- Slash outer edge of fat on beef steak diagonally at 1-inch intervals to prevent
curling (do not cut into lean).
- Mix remaining ingredients. Sprinkle on both sides
of beef; lightly press into beef.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Grill beef 4 to 5 inches from medium coals, turning 2 or 3 times, until of desired
doneness, 25 to 35 minutes for medium.
- Cut into serving pieces.
Yield: 6 servings