Tell Kadahif (Armenian)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds Kataifi*
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 pound butter, melted
- Boil water and sugar for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and cool.
- Loosen the shreds of kataifi, removing coarse particles. Spread half of the dough
in a buttered 10 x 14-inch pan.
- Mix nuts, cinnamon and sugar and spread over the kataifi.
- Top with remaining kadayif.
- Pour hot melted butter evenly over dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour (or until golden brown).
- Pour 6 cups of the cooled syrup over the hot kadayif with
a soup ladle, reserving 1 cup syrup for later.
- Cover kadayif and let it moisten in its own steam for 1/2 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- May be served with whipped cream. Sprinkle with saved syrup.
* Ktaifi dough can be found in the freezer section of specialty markets. It comes
in a 1-pound box marked kataifi, shredded pastry dough.