Aussie Meat Pies
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 ounces lard, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water (approximately)
- 2 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 ounce lard
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 pound ground (minced) beef
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons powdered beef bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (corn flour)
- 2 tablespoons water, extra
- Pastry: Sift flour into bowl; rub in lard. Add eggs and enough water to
make ingredients cling together. Press dough into a ball; knead gently on floured
surface until smooth, cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion on lightly floured surface
large enough to line 4-inch pie tins. Trim away excess pastry. Place tins on
oven tray, line pastry with paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake in moderately
hot oven about 8 minutes. Remove paper and beans, and bake another 8 minutes
or until pastry is lightly browned; cool.
- Filling: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat lard in pan, add onion, cook, stirring, until soft. Add ground beef,
stir over heat until browned. Stir in sauces, bouillon, water and allspice.
Bring to boil, simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch mixed with
the extra water, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Spoon cold filling into pastry cases. Cut eight 5-inch rounds from puff
pastry, brush edges of pastry with a little egg yolk, gently press puff pastry
tops into place; trim edges. Brush tops with a little more egg yolk. Make 2
small slits in center of pies, place on oven trays and bake about 15 minutes
or until lightly browned.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.
Yield: 8 pies
Recipe can be made a day ahead and stored covered in the refrigerator.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.