Boiled Peanuts (Hawaii)
- 2 pounds raw peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Hawaiian rock salt
- 1 whole bhat gok (star anise)
- Soak peanuts in water overnight, weighing down the peanuts with a dish and a
weight, like a large can of pork and beans.
- The next day, wash and rub peanuts until the water is clear. Put peanuts in a
pot with water about 1 1/2 inches above the peanuts. (Hold peanuts down with your
hand.) Add salt and bhat gok. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste for doneness. Peanut should be medium to soft, depending on the taster.
Cook 30 minutes longer for a softer peanut. Let peanuts stand in water for 1 hour.
- Pour off excess water. Package and refrigerate.
Boiled peanuts may be frozen until ready to use or eaten right away.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.