Boiled Peanuts (Hawaii)
- 2 pounds raw peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Hawaiian rock salt
- 1 whole bhat gok (star anise)
- Soak peanuts in water overnight, weighing down the peanuts with a dish and a
weight, like a large can of pork and beans.
- The next day, wash and rub peanuts until the water is clear. Put peanuts in a
pot with water about 1 1/2 inches above the peanuts. (Hold peanuts down with your
hand.) Add salt and bhat gok. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste for doneness. Peanut should be medium to soft, depending on the taster.
Cook 30 minutes longer for a softer peanut. Let peanuts stand in water for 1 hour.
- Pour off excess water. Package and refrigerate.
Boiled peanuts may be frozen until ready to use or eaten right away.