Ginger Crunch (New Zealand)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 3/4 cup (188 ml) granulated
- 2 cups (500 ml) minus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) ground
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 4 tablespoons (60
ml) confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Sift together the flour, ginger and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture
and knead well. Turn into a buttered 8-inch square cake pan. Bake until the
cake tests done, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place the 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan with the confectioners'
sugar, golden syrup and ginger. Heat and stir until the butter is melted. Pour
the mixture over the cake while it is still hot.
- Cut the cake into bars about 2 1/2 inches square before it is cold.
Yields 9 cookies.
Golden syrup is available at upscale markets and British specialty stores.