Ginger Crunch (New Zealand)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 3/4 cup (188 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) minus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground ginger
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Sift together the flour, ginger and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture
and knead well. Turn into a buttered 8-inch square cake pan. Bake until the
cake tests done, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Place the 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan with the confectioners'
sugar, golden syrup and ginger. Heat and stir until the butter is melted. Pour
the mixture over the cake while it is still hot.
- Cut the cake into bars about 2 1/2 inches square before it is cold.
Yields 9 cookies.
Golden syrup is available at upscale markets and British specialty stores.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.