Ham and Potato Pie
This is a very filling and delicious meal. This size will feed 4 or 5 adults
easily. This is a family favourite of ours and I hope you will enjoy it as much
as we have. You may need to adjust the quantities as we tend to cook by instinct
rather than measurement. I have tried to guess the right amounts but most people
will find that they will find the right combination to suit themselves according
to how large a pie they make.
- 1 large (400g) tin of shoulder or leg ham (it must be tinned,fresh is too dry)
- 6 - 8 large potatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 175 - 250ml fresh thickened cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and slice the potatoes and boil them until just cooked so they don't
- Thinly slice the tinned ham.
- Grease a casserole dish or baking dish with
butter or margarine. Place a layer of potato on the bottom of the dish, alternating
with layers of ham until reaching the top of the dish. Finish with a layer of potato.
- Beat the eggs and add cream, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Only add enough cream
to turn the eggs a pale colour, they should be more yellow than white. Pour the
egg mixture over the pie until it fills the empty spaces and covers the top. Do
not overfill as the egg will expand during cooking and may overflow. Sprinkle more
parmesan cheese, salt and pepper over the pie and pop into a moderate oven (180/350
degrees) for about an hour and a half or until the egg is cooked in the centre when
checked with a knife.
Submitted to recipe goldmine.com by Noni Arnold, Australia