This is a wonderful cake from "Down Under."
- 7 ounces whole Brazil nuts
- 5 ounces walnuts
- 1/2 pound pitted dates
- 3 ounces candied peel, chopped
- 6 ounces glace cherries (several colors, if possible)
- 3 ounces seedless raisins
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 ounces flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 ounces granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spirit such as brandy, rum or vanilla or clove brandy
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a loaf or square baking pan with greased paper.
- Put nuts and fruit into a large bowl.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, and add to the fruit mixture with
the sugar. Mix well and make into a stiff batter with the eggs and vanilla extract.
Place in the pan; flatten down with the back of a spoon and bake for 1 1/2 to 2
hours. Test for doneness with a knife or skewer (if the top is browning too quickly,
cover with foil).
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Place in the middle of a clean tea towel. Pierce in several places and soak with
the spirit. Wrap the towel around the cake and store in plastic wrap or foil. Keep
in the refrigerator. Add more spirit every week for 8 weeks.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.