Olongapo (Fried Rice)
- 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- Oil for stir fry
- 1 cup meat, any type cooked or raw
- MSG (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- Soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 to 3 whole green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Add sufficient oil to stir fry in your wok or to cover the bottom of a frying
pan. If the meat is raw, add it to hot oil and stir fry until almost done.
- Add onions and garlic, stir frying until onions are beginning to brown on the edges.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of MSG across the entire surface of the oil, then add a serving
spoon full of soy sauce. Be careful. The soy sauce causes the oil to "pop"
- After the oil has calmed, add the celery, cooking just a bit, still keeping
- Add the rice and stir gently. If you constantly stir the rice, it will become mushy.
- When rice is hot throughout, add cilantro, chopped green onion and beaten egg.
Stir gently until egg is done.
- Garnish with a bit more green onion if you like.
- Serve with additional soy sauce.
When you add the egg, you can also add fresh
tomato bits, mushroom slices and French-cut green beans.