Rice Chicken Soup
(Arroz Caldo con Pollo)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices ginger
- 1 (2 to 3 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 tablespoons patis or 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a large covered stockpot, heat oil and sauté garlic, onion and ginger. Wait
for garlic to brown and onions to become transparent.
- Add the chicken and patis
or salt. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Chicken will produce its own juices.
- Add water and rice. Stirring often to prevent sticking, simmer for 25 minutes over
low heat or until chicken and rice are tender.
- Add chopped scallion and pepper before serving.