- 1 (3 to 4 pound) whole chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
- 1-inch ginger sliced
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups green papaya, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 cup tender pepper leaves or fresh or frozen spinach
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 1 small package cellophane noodles, soaked until limp
- Salt to taste
- Brown chicken on medium to medium high heat in stew pot.
- Add patis and ginger and continue cooking for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and water.
- Boil chicken on low heat until tender.
- Add green papaya and boil until color fades and fruit is almost translucent.
- Add noodles and pepper leaves and cook for 45 seconds.
Yield: 4 to 6 main courses; 8 to 10 side dishes