Aebelskiver (Danish Pancake Puffs)
Aebleskiver work as a snack or a dessert but often they are served for breakfast.
They're great as your family's signature breakfast or for a special occasion. Your family will
appreciate you every time you make them. They're easy. They're good. They're fun.
Serve Aebelskiver hot, drizzled with syrup or a sauce or add a dollop of whipped cream.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- Confectioners' sugar
- Sift dry ingredients together.r
- Add beaten egg yolks and buttermilk, stirring until well blended.
- Beat egg whites until peaks form and fold into batter gently.
- Set aebelskivei pan over low to medium heat and heat until a few
drops of water sputter in pan.
- Put a dab of butter or shortening in each well. Fill 2/3 full with
batter. Turn with a hat pin or skewer until well browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Serve with jam and confectioners' sugar or syrup.
Filled Aebelskiver: Put 1/3 cup batter into cavity.
Spoon 1 tablespoon jam, pudding, pastry filling or whatever filling you would like in the
center, then add 1/3 cup batter on top of that.