Braised Red Cabbage (Denmark)
This is traditionally served for Christmas dinner. The flavor improves if you
prepare the dish a day in advance, refrigerate it, and then reheat it on the stove
or in a 325 degree F oven before serving.
- 1 medium red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons grated apple
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Wash cabbage, remove outer leaves, and cut in half
lengthwise. Remove core. Slice or chop fine, using a knife or food processor.
- In a heavy 4- or 5-quart casserole, combine butter, sugar, salt, water and vinegar.
Bring to a boil on the stove.
- Add cabbage and toss well to coat. Bring to a boil;
cover casserole, and place in oven.
- Bake for 2 hours. Check occasionally and add some
water if all the liquid has cooked away.
- Ten minutes before cooking is finished, stir in jelly and apple; replace cover.
Serves 4 to 6.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.