Brewmaster's Beer Stew
This is an old Danish recipe from 1870 - 1880. Originally it was made of smoked
fat instead of bacon and vinegar instead of Worcestershire sauce.
- 10 ounces smoked bacon
- 1 pound cooled, boiled potatoes
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup non-sweet beer
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 to 10 juniper berries
- Salt and pepper
- Finely-chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Cut bacon into dices and the potatoes into slices.
- Melt butter in a pot and add the sugar.
- Add bacon and fry until the meat is light brown.
- Add the potatoes, beer, Worcestershire sauce and a little water and stir lightly.
- Add the bay leaves, juniper berries and a little salt and pepper.
- Et the stew simmer under cover for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.