Cod with Vegetables
(Kalakasvisvuoka — Finland)
- 2 pounds fish fillets
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 large stalk celery, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 slices bread (crusts removed), cubed
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- If fish fillets are large, cut into serving pieces.
- Arrange fish in ungreased
12 x 7 1/2-inch baking dish or an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Sprinkle with lemon
juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the pepper.
- Mix carrots, celery, onion, bread cubes,
butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage and thyme. Spread evenly over fish.
- Mix bread crumbs,
parsley and paprika; sprinkle over vegetables.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F until
fish flakes easily with fork, about 35 minutes.
Yields 6 servings.