Finnish Rye Bread (Suomalaisruisleip )
To serve this loaf, cut it into wedges, and spread with butter or soft, mild
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water* (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups medium rye flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Butter or margarine, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.
- Stir in brown sugar, oil, salt and 1 cup of the rye flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto surface that has been sprinkled with the remaining rye flour.
- Cover; let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn
greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour. Dough
is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch down dough; shape into a round, slightly flat loaf.
- Place in greased 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pan.
- Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake until loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pan.
- Brush top of loaf with butter; cool on wire rack.
* Potato water can be substituted for the water. This is the water in which potatoes
have been cooked. This is traditional for Finnish Rye Bread.