Herring Salad (Sillsallad)
Serve this is an appetizer or as a side dish.
- 1 (22 ounce) jar herring cutlets in wine sauce, drained
- 3 medium potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) jar pickled beets, drained and cubed
- 2 small dill pickles, chopped
- 1 apple, cut up
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Dilled Sour Cream
- 1 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Salad: Place herring, potatoes, beets, pickles, apple and onion in glass or plastic
- Mix vinegar, sugar, water and pepper; pour over herring mixture. Toss lightly.
- Cover and refrigerate, stirring once or twice, at least 2 hours.
- Serve with Dilled Sour Cream.
- Garnish with parsley and wedges of hardboiled egg if desired.
- Dilled Sour Cream: Mix all ingredients.