Jellied Pork and Veal Loaf (Sylta — Sweden)
- 1 (2 pound) boneless pork shoulder
- 1 pound veal or beef shanks
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 whole allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Trim fat from pork.
- Heat pork, veal, 4 cups water, the onion, allspice, cloves,
bay leaf, 1 tablespoon salt and the pepper to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from broth; cool meat slightly. Remove meat from bones. Finely chop
meat or put through fine blade of food chopper.
- Strain broth.
- Sprinkle gelatine
over 1/4 cup water in saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatine
is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Mix meat, 2 1/2 cups of the broth, the gelatine, vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt;
pour into ungreased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.
- Unmold onto platter; cut into slices.
- Garnish with celery leaves and pickled beets if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
>> INTERNATIONAL RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.