Kleiners (Danish Fried Cookies)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 heaping tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 3 cups flour (or more)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Beat sugar, eggs and butter well.
- Add the milk, then beat in vanilla extract
- Sift flour and baking powder together into the first mixture. Knead
well, adding more flour if it is too sticky.
- Roll the dough thin; cut into 1 x 4-inch
strips, make a slit in the center, then pull one end through the slit.
- Deep fry in hot shortening until golden brown.