- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 sticks butter or margarine
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix sugar, butter, egg yolk and a small amount of the buttermilk and soda until
blended. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining buttermilk, 1 cup flour, baking
powder and vanilla extract and beat until blended.
- Stir in the remaining flour.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Cut dough into 4 parts and work with one part at a time, leaving the rest in
- Cut off enough dough to make a roll 1/2-inch thick and 9 inches long and shape
into a circle or figure 8 shape on a lightly floured cookie sheet.
- When pan is full, bake at 500 degrees F for 5 minutes until very lightly browned.
If you wish to brown tops, you may do so carefully under the broiler, but watch