Norwegian Spinach Soup
- 2 pounds fresh spinach (or frozen, chopped spinach)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- Wash spinach thoroughly; drain and chop coarsely. (If you're using frozen
spinach, defrost it and drain thoroughly.)
- Place a sieve or strainer over a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or soup pot, bring broth to a boil.
- Add spinach. Simmer for 8
minutes, then pour into sieve or strainer, catching the stock in the bowl.
the spinach with a spoon to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Set the stock aside.
- Chop the spinach very fine.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan or soup pot.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in
- Using a whisk, slowly add the hot broth, mixing well.
- Return pan to heat
and bring broth to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes,
- Serve soup garnished with slices of hard-boiled egg.
Serves 4 to 6