Scandinavian Chicken with Apricots
- 6 large chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apricot brandy
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Remove skin from chicken breasts.
- Mix water, brandy, apricots and currants; let stand 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet until hot.
- Cook chicken over medium heat until brown on both sides, about 15 minutes; drain fat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, thyme and pepper.
- Add apricot mixture and lemon slices. Heat to boiling; reduce
heat. Cover and cook, spooning pan juices over chicken occasionally, until chicken
is done, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
Yields 6 servings