Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Kaldolmar)
- 1 (2 pound) head cabbage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/3 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- Remove core from cabbage. Cover cabbage with cold water; let stand about 10 minutes.
- Remove 12 cabbage leaves. Cover leaves with boiling water. Cover and let stand
until leaves are limp, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Mix beef, rice, milk, onion, egg, salt, pepper and allspice.
- Place about 1/2 cup beef mixture at stem end of each leaf. Roll leaf around beef mixture,
tucking in sides.
- Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Pour water over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F until beef is done, about 1 hour.
- Remove cabbage rolls with slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Drain liquid from baking
dish, reserving 1/2 cup liquid; skim fat.
- Gradually stir half-and-half into flour in saucepan until smooth.
- Stir in reserved liquid and bouillon. Heat to boiling,
stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve sauce with cabbage rolls.
Makes 12 rolls