The Chocolate Sauce is also wonderful served warm or cold on ice cream. If you
don't have superfine sugar, you can make your own by spinning regular sugar
in a blender or food processor.
- 4 egg whites (at room temperature)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet heavily with butter; then coat
with flour, tapping to remove any extra.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar. Beat until whites are very stiff and form solid peaks.
- Drop meringue by rounded tablespoons onto prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes. If meringues begin to brown, reduce heat to 200 degrees F.
- To make Chocolate Sauce, bring sugar and water to a full boil in a heavy saucepan.
Boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add cocoa and beat with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Serve each person 2 meringues, with a tablespoon of sauce drizzled over each.
Serves 8 to 10