Swedish Pot Roast with Anchovies (Slottsstek)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) beef boneless rump roast, chuck
eye roast or bottom round roast
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 2 to
4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in Dutch oven until hot.
- Cook beef in oil over medium heat, turning
occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Sprinkle beef with
allspice, salt and pepper.
- Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer, turning beef occasionally, until tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove beef to serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid.
liquid to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered until reduced to 1 cup, about 10
- Serve sauce with beef.
- Serve with buttered peas and carrots if desired.
Yields 8 to 10 servings
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.