Swedish Raisin Rye Bread
This is excellent for making French Toast.
- 36 ounces (or more) seedless raisins
- 5 cups warm water (105 degrees F)
- 6 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 9 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 to 5 cups medium rye flour
- 10 cups white flour
- Soak raisins in cool water overnight.
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Beat together brown sugar, molasses, salt and shortening.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Add the rye flour and beat until smooth.
- Add enough white flour to make a soft dough.
- Add drained raisins.
- Let rise, punch down, and let rise again.
- Put into loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 7 to 8 loaves.